Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Running just as fast as we can

We found a new place to live. Maybe I didn't mention that we're moving, but we are. It's just about a mile south, but it's oh-so-nice to have everything set in stone.

What is not, however, oh-so-nice, is moving in the middle of the semester. I've done it before and so I know. I know I know I know how difficult it will be. Moving is, as I'm sure we all know (although most would probably rather not), one of the absolute worst things a person can do. No one should ever move. It is a terrible, terrible affair.

Plus I have a piano.

Anyway, so I need to be extra special organized this semester. The kids seems to be doing well so far, but I think I'm going to have to give them more quizzes. One kid admitted today that he didn't read the story. I called on him in the first place because he was sitting with his head resting on his hands, nearly asleep. "What do you think about this?" I asked. "I'm sorry, I didn't get a chance to read the story," the student said.

So I continued, trying to appear unfazed. At least the kid was honest, right? After the lecture I informed them they'd be having a reading quiz next class. A good move, I think, but I hate to do it. It seems so high school.

Then again, this is a 2000 level course. Probably this is to be expected.

2 comments:

  1. Give them more quizzes! Or tell them the punishment for failure to do the assignment is that they must help you pack......books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Thanks for the ideas. Packing and moving books is the worst.

    I remember the first time I moved; I put all my books in the same box. Bad idea. Only someone possessing super human strength could have lifted it.

    ReplyDelete