Thursday, September 2, 2010

And a 1 and a 2

This semester I am teaching five classes. I'm teaching creative writing, interpretation of fiction, two sections of freshman comp one, and one section of freshman comp two. So far, so good, but I haven't yet had to deal with the paper flood that is to come. I might take the Writing Programs Director's advice and not comment on rough drafts, which is something I've never done before.

But then, I've also never had 105 students before, so there's that.

We are working on buying a home. We just had an inspection yesterday and it went pretty well. I'm just so happy every day that we have Patrice to help us. Without her, we would feel so lost in this whole process.

One thing that is difficult about teaching so many different classes is switching gears in between them. I just got back from interpretation of fiction where my class had an excellent discussion of "Battle Royal," by Ellison, and now I have to get ready for my 1101 class where we'll be talking about MLA formatting and thesis construction. One thing I've been working on is bringing in similar lesson plans in as many classes as possible.

For example, I taught my lit class and my enc (English comp) classes about how to format and arrange their essays at the same time. I just had to adapt my notes to the readings they were doing. Pretty good.

I can't really do this with creative writing, but then teaching creative writing is like my reward, really.

It's definitely harder remembering all their names, but I'm working on it. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment