Friday, April 30, 2010

Time keeps on ticking ticking ticking

Recently I realized that I have a whole week off in between spring and summer semesters. That week deserves the italics, I care not what you think! A week! Precious, glorious, wondrous week off!

This is exciting. This is. Unexpected? I've been so busy I didn't even think to let it sink in that there are days between this semester and the next during which nothing is expected of me.

This is partly due to the fact that I will not be advising this summer. It should be nice to have a break, although I do enjoy advising (possibly little known fact: at parties/get-togethers/public event type things, I can always fall back on my advising knowledge when talking to people, especially in those lovely little awkward silence moments. Seriously, maybe it's because I'm around students a lot, but there is always someone who needs to know something about college or grad school or the GRE, etc etc. It's great).

Soon enough my kids will be clambering to explain to me that I've graded them wrong, that I missed the point of their essay, that they weren't actually absent from class on 27 occasions, that they did in fact turn in the assignment(s) I'm missing from them.... But not yet, folks. That will probably start on Monday.

I just have to be firm with them. Yes, this is your grade. Yes, surprising as it seems, I do know what I'm doing. No, you are not the first student I've ever had challenge me. And finally, no, I am not going to back down on this! You missed 27 classes, for heaven's sake.

Okay, that's a bit of hyperbole, but still. You get the general idea. This is one of the reasons I'm happy for the week-without-work. One of myriad.

No comments:

Post a Comment